So we reached 100 posts, and we’e pretttyyy pleased about that!
So what better way (ok, there are better ways!) to celebrate than to summarise all 100 posts into 100 guinea pig facts to look back at the content that has been covered.
Its a lonnnng list so if you get bored, you know what to do.
But hopefully it gives a bit of insight as to what else is on the site and maybe pick up a few more useful pieces of info about our beloved furry friends
So here goes counting up 100 guinea pig facts….
1. It is very easy to underfeed guinea pigs. If you get a new guinea pig that is thin and limp, its a bad sign that it has been underfed. It should be nicely rounded.
Check out more at 10 things you need to check for when getting a Guinea Pig
2. Its never good for guinea pigs to live alone. They much prefer to be with others.
See more at How Many Guinea Pigs Should I Get?
3. Did you know that a guinea pig can live as long as 8 years?
See more interesting facts at 10 Basic Facts to Introduce You to Guinea Pigs
4. Rabbits and guinea pigs don’t live well together.
Check out Can Guinea Pigs and Rabbits Live Together? For more info.
5. Guinea pig’s nails need to be trimmed regularly otherwise they will curl into the footpad.
More information on how to look at piggies nails at Guinea Pig Nail Care.
6. There are many different things that can be used as a carry box to take a new guinea pig home, not just a cage.
Check them out at Bringing Home a Guinea Pig: 5 Ideas for a Carrier
7. A guinea pig needs about 7.5 square foot of space to run around in at a minimum.
This comes from Bringing Home a Guinea Pig: Arriving Home.
8. Never pick a guinea pig up by the scruff of the neck.
For more info on how to handle a piggie for the first time see Bringing Home a Guinea Pig: Settling the Guinea Pig In.
9.Guinea pigs need their nails cut on a monthly basis.
For a more detailed guide see Trimming Guinea Pigs Nails: A Step by Step Guide
10. Guinea pig’s can eat strawberries but not too much of them.
This came from Can Guinea Pigs Eat Strawberries?
Well done, 90 to go. Here’s another 10 great things we found out about guinea pigs…. Here goes
11. Before adding a guinea pig to a pack, a period of quarantine is often quite useful.
For more info check out Guinea Pig Quarantine: How to introduce it to its new pack
12 Guinea pigs can eat celery but too much will give them diarrehea.
This came from Can guinea pigs eat celery?
13. Never feed your guinea pig seeded grapes, as they could choke on them.
You can read more about grapes and guinea pigs at Can Guinea pigs eat grapes?
14. By preference, guinea pigs would rather hang out in shaded areas.
You can read more about this at Can guinea pigs see?
15. If you let your guinea pigs run around your home, put them back in the cage after 15 mins as they will start to poop.
This came from Handling guinea pigs for the first time
16. A guinea pig will tend to reach full growth after 14 months.
See Guinea Pig Size: How They Develop Through The Age Ranges for more info.
17. A guinea pig’s water supply needs to be replenished daily.
For more info check out A Guide to Ensuring Your Guinea Pig Never Goes Thirsty
18. A baby guinea pig is called a pup.
This came from 50 Fun Facts About Guinea Pigs for Kids
19. Guinea pigs can eat bananas, but too many will give them tummy ache.
For more info check out Can guinea pigs eat bananas?
20. Cherries can be eaten by guinea pigs, but too many will give them digestion issues.
We wrote about this at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Cherries?
Only 80 more facts about guinea pigs to go…..how about another 10?
21. There is nothing wrong with giving your guinea pig lychees just don’t give them a lot and not often.
For more info check out Can Guinea Pigs eat Lychees?
22. What isn’t good for the guinea pig, is the light green cream which is found in the avocado which causes the intestines to slow down because it is high in fat.
We wrote about that here at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Avocados?
23. Tarragon is high in calcium so don’t feed it to piggies that often.
Check out more info at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Tarragon?
24. Guinea pigs shouldn’t be in temperatures below 10 degrees Celsius even if they have bedding and other warm paper or cloth around them.
You can read more about this at Guinea Pigs and Cold Weather.
25. Watercress contains a good amount of vitamin c and so gives them some much needed vitamin c supplement.
We wrote about this at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Watercress?
26. Most guinea pigs do live together in two’s and three’s.
We wrote more about that at Putting Two Guinea Pigs Together In 7 Steps
27. Timothy Hay helps digestion of guinea pigs as it is very fibrous.
Check out more info at What is Timothy Hay? 24 Facts and Benefits
28. Although they are high in water content, watermelon’s are not so bad for piggies. Feeding them every other day should be fine.
We wrote about that here Can Guinea Pigs eat Watermelon?
29. Cucumbers are great for guinea pigs to eat. Guinea pigs absolutely adore them.
Check out more at Can Guinea Pigs eat Cucumbers?
30. Mango is great for guinea pigs to eat. Its got a high vitamin c content, but also to bear in mind is that it is very high in sugar.
We wrote about that at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Mango?
We’ve reached 30 guinea pig facts….70 to go….
31. Putting two male guinea pigs together is never an easy thing to do.
Check out an experience here What Happens When Two Male Guinea Pigs Don’t Get On?
32. Red bell peppers are awesome for guinea pigs to eat.
Check out more here Can Guinea Pigs Eat Red Peppers?
33. When two male guinea pigs aren’t getting on at first, it is worth persisting.
We wrote about that here How Do I Get My Two Guinea Pigs To Get Along?
34. Guinea pigs and hamsters should be kept well apart and not lived together.
Check out this post 6 Reasons Why Hamsters and Guinea Pigs Can’t Live Together
35. Cantaloupe seeds are not good for guinea pigs as they can easily choke on them and cause them difficulties.
A lot more info about that can be found at Can Guinea Pigs eat Cantaloupe Melon?
36. Did you know most types of apple are fine for piggies?
Check out more info at Can Guinea Pigs eat Apples?
37. Tinned sweetcorn contains a lot of salt so is not good for guinea pigs. So steer clear.
We wrote about this at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Corn?
38. Wherever you have a guinea pig run, make sure you put somewhere for the guinea pig to retreat to such as a cardboard box.
Check out more info at 8 Different Ideas For a Guinea Pig Run
39. When feeding a guinea pig orange, It is best to cut the orange into thin slices so that they are easy for the guinea pig to digest.
We wrote more about oranges and guinea pigs at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Oranges?
40. Guinea pigs can eat kiwi fruit just not too much! Kinda like humans really.
Check out more at Can Guinea Pigs Eat Kiwi Fruit?
60 more fab piggie facts to go….
41. Did you know that a guinea pig’s diet should be made at of at least 75% hay?
Check out our Oxbow Western Timothy Hay Review
42. Don’t put Timothy hay down for them to lay on, instead put in a rack or a holder of some sort.
Check out our free alternative here A Free Guinea Pig Hay Holder Alternative
43. Yellow bell peppers are great for guinea pigs to eat. They can be fed to piggies daily if you wanted.
From Can guinea pigs eat yellow peppers?
44. Did you know that guinea pigs can swim, but don’t particularly like it much?
We discovered that here at Can guinea pigs swim?
45. Anything dairy will make a guinea ill. This is because they are lactose intolerant.
Find out more at Can guinea pigs eat cheese?
46. Guinea pigs love company, mostly other guinea pigs but humans as well.
From Can guinea pigs live alone?
47. They don’t like cold weather at all. It is best to bringthem in when the temperature drops below 10 degrees Celsius.
A lot more can be found about this at Getting ready for guinea pig winter care
48. It is much better to have two guinea pigs rather than just one, as they love having others to hang out with.
From Why one guinea pig is not enough
49. Carrots are the guinea pig version of chocolate. They love them but they do contain a lot of sugar, so not too many of you may well get a fat piggie.
We found about carrots at Can guinea pigs eat Carrots?
and we’ve reached half way. Here’s to the next 50!
50. Guinea pigs are partial to pears but do throw away the stem and the core.
From Can guinea pigs eat Pears?
51. The Rex guinea pig is a main classified breed that has dense wooly hair that stands up on end and large droopy ears.
We discovered more about the Rex at 14 facts to help you get to know the Rex guinea pig
52. Clementines are food that guinea pigs can eat, but don’t let them have too many.
From Can guinea pigs eat clementines?
53. The skinny guinea pig came about as a result of testing and an animal laboratory in France in 1978.
From A brief guide to skinny guinea pigs
54. The best way for guinea pigs to eat cauliflower is raw. Don’t give them cooked cauliflower.
Discover more at Can guinea pigs at cauliflower?
55. Too much cabbage can bloat a guinea pig.
We found this out at can guinea pigs eat green cabbage?
56. Guinea pigs can eat bread but it gives them no nutritional benefit.
Check out more at can guinea pigs eat bread?
57. Piggies love to eat grass, but do watch for any chemicals like oil in it.
We discovered this at Can guinea pigs eat grass?
58. Putting a hot water bottle in cage is a great way of keeping a guinea pig warm, just make sure it’s done safely.
From 18 ways to keep a guinea pig warm
59. When a guinea pig is relaxed it will stretch out and purr.
From The sounds of guinea pigs and what they mean
60. One of the most amazing things about guinea pigs is that they ‘popcorn’ which means they jump out when they are excited.
From 11 Reasons why guinea pigs make great pets
Only 40 more facts about guinea pigs to go…..
61. Giving a guinea pig a run, really adds to their quality of life. But make sure you give your piggies somewhere to retreat to.
We discovered more about runs here
62. The Himalayan guinea pig is known as the siamese cat of the guinea pig world.
We discovered more about the Himalayan guinea pig and why they are so great
63. Did you know that guinea pigs can eat raisins, but only in very small amounts?
We found that out in this post about guinea pigs and raisins
64. Zucchini is a veggie that is great for piggies to eat and can be fed to them regularly.
We found this out at can guinea pigs eat zucchini?
65. A great starter guinea pig is the Agouti guinea pig, as it doesn’t take much grooming.
We got to know more about the Agouti here
66. Never let your guinea pigs anywhere near wild mushrooms
We loved learning here about whether guinea pigs can eat mushrooms
67. Sheltie guinea pigs were first bred in the United Kingdom, and are also known as Silkies.
We discovered more about the beloved Sheltie here
68. Kohlrabi is a great veggie for piggies to eat containing a terrific amount of vitamin c.
We found out what a Kohlrabi is and whether piggies could eat it.
69. Bell peppers of any colour can be fed to piggies on a daily basis.
We loved finding out more about bell peppers
70. Almonds are food to keep away from piggies.
From can guinea pigs eat almonds?
30 more to go……here’s another ten things you may not know about guinea pigs
71. Did you know that snow peas make great veggies for guinea pigs because of their great nutritional values?
Discover more about can guinea pigs eat snow peas?
72. Did you know that a peanut is not a nut but a legume? Even so, they are still bad for piggies to eat.
From can guinea pigs eat peanuts?
73. Swiss chard is a veggie that is packed with vitamins and can be eaten by guinea pigs, every other day.
We discovered more at can guinea pigs eat swiss chard?
74. Spinach can only be fed to piggies once or twice a week
From can guinea pigs eat spinach?
75. Water spinach can also only be fed to them a weekly basis.
Discover more at can guinea pigs eat water spinach?
76. Even though Jicama’s are a bit starchy they can still be fed to piggies.
Look more at can guinea pigs eat jicama?
77. Jalapeno’s are a food to keep away from guinea pigs. They cannot eat hot and spicy foods.
Find out more at can guinea pigs eat jalapenos
78. The Texel guinea pig originated in England in the 1980s when a Silkie guinea pig was crossed with a Rex guinea pig.
Discover more at texel guinea pigs: a brief guide
79. Arugula is a food that can be fed to piggies every other day.
From can guinea pigs eat arugula?
If you’re still here….well done. Only 20 more guinea pig facts to go
80. Gunea pigs cant eat any meat such as turkey.
We found out more at can guinea pigs eat turkey?
81. Artichokes are a food that can be fed to piggies 3-4 times a week.
From can guinea pigs eat artichokes?
82. Do you know what Jerusalem Artichokes are? If not, then don’t worry as they’re not good for piggies to eat.
Discover more about them here
83. Just like chinese artichokes!!
From this blog post here
84. Yams though are great for piggies and can be fed to them on a weekly basis.
So we found about guinea pigs and yams
85. Just like turkey, stear clear of ham around thanksgiving time. Feed them raw veggies instead.
From this post about guinea pigs and ham
86. Piggies cannot eat potatoes as they contain harmful toxins for them.
We discovered about piggies and potatoes here
87. Endive’s are great for piggies and can be fed to them every other day.
From can guinea pigs eat endives?
88. Do you know what Belgiun Endives are? If not, then get to know them as they’re great for guinea pigs to eat.
We discovered that there was more than one endive here
89. Thought about feeding your piggie pumpkin pie? Don’t bother as they wont eat it. They can’t eat any sugary things.
We loved finding out about piggies and pumpkin here
90. Butternut squash can be fed to piggies every other day.
From can guinea pigs eat butternut squash?
Last 10, and we’re on the home straight
91. Cranberry juice is actually very good for piggies and is known for having medicinal qualities for them.
Find out more about that here
92. Peruvian guinea pigs are native to Australia, strangely enough!
Find out more here
93. They can eat sweet potato, but not too much. Once or twice a month will do.
Find out more about piggies and sweet potato
94. Did you know that you need to change a guinea pigs bedding at least once a week?
Find out more here
95. Kale should only be fed to piggies once a week.
We found that out here
96. Asparagus is also a weekly feed veggie for them.
Find out more at can guinea pigs eat asparagus?
97. Green beans are also a once a week veggie
For more see here
98. Piggies can’t eat tinned peaches as it is too sugary for them.
For more info check out this post
99. Runner beans are a no-no for piggies.
We found out this here
and…….100 is..,…..well, that guinea pigs are the best pets you could possibly have, and that’s a fact!
Here’s to 100 more posts and many many more gunea pig facts!!