‘Can guinea pigs eat watermelon?’
Watermelon is a great fruit which is ideal to eat on a hot summers day and a nice juicy watermelon is just perfect for providing refreshment.
As a family, we sometimes have them for starters for meals so occasionally buy them and the kids also enjoy them.
So this leads me to the question..
Can guinea pigs eat watermelons and what do I need to consider before I give them to my guinea pig?
Here are some considerations to think about before giving your guinea pig watermelon.
- They are safe for guinea pigs to eat.
- Although they are high in water content, they are not so bad for them. Feeding them every other day should be fine.
- They don’t contain a lot of vitamins and so you can’t rely on them to give your guinea pig a vitamin c supplement like some other fruits.
- Like most fruits they do contain a lot of sugar so don’t eat a lot of them as the guinea pigs will get poorly tummies.
- They are great to add to a well rounded balanced diet.
- The water content will supplement the water diet of the guinea pig, which is a positive.
- However, they can cause the guinea pig diarrhoea if they eat too much. Too much of a good thing is bad for the piggies. Watch how much watermelon you cut up for them and let them enjoy the pieces you give them.
- The green outer skin should not be fed to the guinea pig
- Make sure you wash the watermelon and remove the seeds before feeding the guinea pig. You don’t want any nasty chemicals getting through to your piggies
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon rind?
Yes it should be fine, it is safe to eat but only as a treat.
It carries a lot of nutrients but it doesn’t have a great flavor so they may not be that into it.
Can guinea pigs eat watermelon seeds?
It is best to keep the watermelon seeds away from your guinea pig as they may choke on them
My guinea pig enjoyed watermelon so I will definitely be giving it to him again, however not too much at a time and maybe one or two times a week will be quite enough.